Bobby Collins, whose catch phrase is I wanna go home, is a good stand-up comic but he is not that impressive.
Perhaps this appreciation is tainted by the fact the sound quality on I Wanna Go Home, the first Bobby Collins stand-up, is not up to Uproar’s usual crisp sound standards or it is probably because although this comic can definitely tell a funny joke and a funny story and the CD is enjoyable overall, nothing really stands out.
It is definitely a difficult task to pigeonhole Bobby Collins as a comic. I Wanna Go Home shows the variety of topics this stand-up comedian covers, from Michael Jackson and Geraldo to Starbucks and skiing but it also shows continuity is not the forte of this funny guy.
A long funny skit here like Becoming Your Parents (a solid premise) slowly goes all over the place. I am also not convinced that a professional comic should still be doing pee-pee jokes (and two and a half minutes of it at that on this comedy CD): it is too easy to get laughs and basically mindless.
Listening to I Wanna Go Home leaves the impression Bobby Collins himself doesn’t quite know what kind of stand-up comic he wants to be. Funny jokes as social commentary, such as Obesity on the Cruise Ship are segued (well, sort of) into jokes about Computers and Penal Enhancement and then into Pope on a Rope and later into Las Vegas / Atlantic City.
I am not saying a stand-up comedian should be one-dimensional, that’s even worse, but the great ones have a center they then work from.
I Wanna Go Home by Bobby Collins is a decent comedy CD. Not bad, not memorable.
I Wanna Go Home
Stand-up Comedy CD
- 94The George Carlin comedy CD that is going to rehabilitate him as still being one of the greats.
- 89This Carlin CD is just Bitching and Moaning By An Old Fart.
- 88one of those rare comedy CDs you never get tired of
- 86We got a pre-release copy of Pervert, Phil Mazo 's first stand-up comedy CD. If everything goes right, we will be able to sell this on eBay and retire in a few years. Mazo has all the tools of a veteran comic and uses all of them effortlessly. From short…
- 85Now, this, um, kind of stand-up, ah, delivery gets, like, tiresome, on, you know, Revolution