Michael Ian Black
Stand-up Comedy CD
Comedy Central Records 2011
Michael Ian Black begins two routines with “Strangers do not find me funny”. It is easy to see why after listening to his stand-up comedy CD. This is mostly banal generic material and the comic tends to stretch it out as much as possible. There are a couple of decent bits on Very Famous but that is about it. MP3 album at Amazon
After a rather original opening, Very Famous goes into a long airline joke. The first is set in the departure lounge and an example of why strangers do not find Black funny, the second is about boarding and making strange noises during the flight.
This is followed by another example of why strangers … and a bit about semen that is somewhat amusing in parts. The ten-minute rectal exam closer is nothing you have not heard before. Neither routine works and both sound totally out of place with the rest of the material here.
One of the good routines on this stand-up comedy CD is Skydiving. This is a long form story where Michael Ian Black shows he’s got the chops when he feels like it. There is nothing predictable or generic about this one.
Another is Disappointed in my Children, a story about his kids and Halloween.
Very Famous by Michael Ian Black is an unremarkable comedy CD.
- 94Pretty decent comedy CD by comic who needs a bit more life experience.
- 91Very Famous has a lot to offer in terms of goofy stories
- 80touching, poignant, brilliant, intelligent, wise, and amazing
- 80If you enjoy relationship comedy albums, you are well served with @trentoncomedy by Trenton Davis. Davis hits all the style’s targets with stories about his wife and child and the difficulties of being in a couple. Trenton Davis’ material is above the usual fare. That in itself is refreshing. This…
- 79recorded in 1990 and maybe funny 21 years ago