Those who remember Allan Sherman aka “Hello, Muddah. Hello, Faddah” or “Seventy-six Sol Cohens” or “Sarah Jackman” and those familiar with Borscht Belt humor will feel right at home listening to My Mother’s Brisket & Other Love Songs by Rick Moranis. Moranis, best known for shrinking kids and SCTV and the Great White North, is not quite up there with Sherman but if you like this kind of humor, you are going to like this music comedy CD.
The material here is lightweight fun. “The Seven Days of Shiva” is a Jewish inspired Twelve Days of Xmas with “5 plates of smoked fish, 4 pickled tongues, 3 steamed pastramis,” and fun. This is the track that is going to make airplay money for Moranis.
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Jewish musical tradition so cannot tell which particular genre Moranis is referring to in tunes like “Live Blogging the Himel Family Bris”. Fortunately for me, Moranis echoes other genres suck as the somewhat stereotypical Chinese music “Asian Confusion” about ordering in and the country wester tinged I Can’t Help It I Just Like Christmas.
This is a fun and entertaining CD featuring funny songs. If you like this genre, go for it.
My Mother’s Brisket & Other Love Songs
Comedy Music CD
Warner Brothers 2013
- 87he's good and those are catchy tunes.
- 87Hey, it's a funny song CD relaxing and entertaining as all get out.
- 87The humor in the songs on Big-Ass Comedy Box is subtle and all in the lyrics
- 86Of the eleven songs on this funny CD, ten are very good, one is so-so.
- 82I doubt these are the original Alvin and the Chipmunks but they do great funny songs