Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Mary Steenburgen, Richard Jenkins
Directed by Adam McKay
Columbia Pictures 2008
I have never seen a more stupid and pointless comedy or a greater waste of time. Even Eddie Murphy’s Pluto Nash played one frame every minute is better than Step Brothers. The only funny moment on this DVD is when Brennan unknowingly comments on Step Brothers: “This sucks camel dicks!” The only other intelligent bit of dialogue is the “Uhhh” said by Brennan (Will Ferrell) and Dale (John C. Reilly) when they destroy the kitchen.
Step Brothers had an interesting premise. A man in his late fifties meets a woman in her late fifties. They fall in love, get married, and move in together. Their baggage is they both have a forty-something good for nothing son. The sons destroy their relationship and then decide to bring them back together.
If a scene can be sophomoric, it is not even that intelligent. If it can go on for way too long, it does. The humor includes the step brothers peeing together as a form of male bonding and one of the step brothers licking dog poop after being threatened by a junior high school bully, and a woman peeing at a urinal.
To forget you’ve ever laid eyes on the Step Brothers DVD slide a crochet needle up your nose and digging around your frontal lobe.
- 78Three buddies go cross-country in a wienermobile.
- 71Redneck inventor goes to big city with two pals and weird stuff happens.
- 70Decent comedy by the Wayans, who would have thunk it?
- 70A bet pits a British inventor, a Chinese thief, and a French artist on a worldwide adventure that they can circle the globe in 80 days.
- 69Very good and very entertaining family movie